Saturday, August 23, 2008

New! Bar Harbor Pale Ale



I just realized the bottle of Bar Harbor Acadia Pale Ale I bought today cost me $4.89. It's on the high side for a bomber, but I'd have gladly paid twice that to try a new beer from Bar Harbor Brewing. There it is, posing with a bunch of my college textbooks.

No surprises here, just a solid pale. Note from the photo that this is a bomber, actually brewed by Bar Harbor, as opposed to the 12 oz. bottles. I don't have anything against the little Geary's bottles, except that the stuff brewed in Bar Harbor is made in small batches and bottle conditioned, and I think it makes a difference. As a homebrewer, I love seeing the layer of yeast at the bottom of the bottle.

And oh, those hops. I'm not experienced enough with hops to guess what variety, but it's pleasantly bitter in an herbal, citrus way. This is definitely a pale in the British sense, not the American. It's vaguely cloudy, probably because of the live yeast, and the malt character is pretty light. If it wasn't suicidal, I could drink 40 of these in a night. I'm kind of sad the one I'm drinking is down to the bottom already.

I've heard Bar Harbor Brewing is under new ownership, but can't find any info on this. Anyone know anything, or have links?

No comments: