Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A brewery for every 42,000

So Maine has a brewery for every 42,000 people, according to the Brewers Association. That's awesome as a consumer, maybe not so great if you're a craft brewery, after you figure out how many of those 42,000 actually drink craft beer. It helps that most of our breweries are good enough to keep people coming back, and that my fiance and I are drinking our share of Maine-brewed beer.

The report also states that Shipyard is the 26th largest brewery in America, and the 16th largest craft brewery. I'd quote the AP brief on it, but the AP would sue me for that, even though it's just a summary of a press release, so read it here if you don't want to bother wading through the info in the Brewers Association pdfs. Also, Magic Hat is the 10th largest craft brewer, and Vermont has the highest number of breweries per capita.

1 comment:

Zach Dionne said...

That's cool news to hear Shipyard and Magic Hat are so high up on the list. And interesting for Maine to have such a close ratio, wow.

I'm actively following you on hear now that I'm blogging regularly. Cheers man! Thanks for supporting me while I carried the column on for a year. I think Andrew Catalina will take it this fall and/or year.